Skip to main content

Week 8 reflection

This week we focused on the language of learning. For my post I focused on more academic learning. I talked a lot about how we as teachers can have a huge impact on the view our students have on learning based on what we say. We always need to be positive and encouraging for our students. It was interesting to read other students posts because not everyone focused on this type of language. Some focused on game language. They discussed more of the enthusiasm and competitive nature of games in the classroom. Sam did a great job bringing more of the discussion to focus on game-based learning and language.

Because I am not in my own classroom I think it provides me a different approach to the impact of language in classrooms. I am in and out of many rooms every week so I get to see different teachers use of language. This has provided me with a lot of experience with what type of language works and what does not. I also have started working at my sons daycare, where I am working along side of others who are not certified teacher so that also provides a different point of view.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

final reflection

At the end of this semester, think, again, about “Why games in education?”; and reflect on your experience in this course and share what is the most important take away for you. The blog is due by Sunday night (Dec. 9) Games in education make sense. I say this because in todays world students are so used to technology being engrained into their daily lives. They see their families on their phones, their teaches wear smart watches, at school their teachers use smart boards to deliver lessons. Every single day students are exposed to technology. With technology comes a need to understand it and use it effectively. This is also true in regards to technology based games. I think so often technology is used at a surface level instead of its full potential.  Games in education make school more fun. How boring is it for students to sit at their desks all day and never play a game. I remember when I was in school it was so much fun when we got to play games like heads up seven up and j

Week 4 reflection

This week I learned a lot. I have been really enjoying reading the "pirate" book. I like the way it is organized and how easy it is to follow along. This weeks topic was one that I have experienced in my teaching and my personal life many times, but never in the capacity of exploring it more in-depth. I think flow is something I always strive to have in my classroom, and so I don't think about it as much as I had to this week. Lately I have been subbing and it is so different to see how each teachers classroom works. Everyone has a different way things are organized and flows through out the day, that I have learned a lot working in so many different classes. I think again it was interesting that I was able to apply my own personal experience to a week topic. I haven't had too many classes where I can look back at my own education or daily life and think about how it relates to the topic we are discussion that week. Perviously I was able to reflect on my French cl

Week 9

Which aspects of story and game mechanics will be useful in your class and how might you use them? This weeks main question has a lot of room for  interpretation. I feel that with everyones unique situation and experience the blog posts this week will be a lot of fun to read. For me I will need to think of this question in hypothetical situation because I am not currently working in a classroom.  When I was in my own classroom I used games a lot. We would play games with Osmo sets. We would also play structured games outside on the playground to help them understand and practice taking turns, sharing, and playing nicely with each other.  There are so many aspects of game mechanics and stories that can have a positive impact on students learning. Whether it be from actual games that are played like ones that allow students to practice their letter or sound recognition, look at parts of speech, or prepare for a quiz. All these will help students find the motivation to learn more. Th