Skip to main content

Week 10

How do you currently infuse play into your class? How might you change this as a result of some of the ideas you have encountered?

Currently I am not in my own classroom, so I will base this off my student teaching experience last year. I spent my first semester in a first grade classroom. Everyday students were expected to do their work and complete lessons, but after their work was done they had free choice. In speaking with the teacher this was something she highly valued. It was something she felt that the students needed everyday. I remember questioning if they still needed free choice because they seemed older, but when they started to play and tinker and construct I realized how important exploration is for all children. 
In my second classroom of my student teaching it was a kindergarten and first grade split room. There it was a bit different because of the different ages of students. Again just like the class with all first graders it very quickly became apparent how much kiddos need free choice. They work hard all day learning a lot of new material and for at minimum of 20 minutes they need to be allowed to play, color, build, construct, and explore in the classroom. 

To apply the same approach to play in my classroom seems the obvious choice. From this class I would like to take my application of games and play more integrated into my daily classroom environment. While I will have students have free choice daily, I would like to use technology such as Class Dojo, which incorporates points and badges into classroom management. If I am teaching older students I will have games like Jeopardy, relay races, and other active games that allow students to practice the material they are learning while playing and getting exercise. 

Comments

  1. I could definitely see you using badges in a class of that grade level! Badges for things like counting to 100 or other milestones. I think it is so important for students to experience play both individually and in groups, because this is the time they learn social skills especially team work and problem solving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you take into account the age differences when discussing and incorporating play in your classroom. I do agree that play is important at any age, but as you noted, it's also important that the games and associated elements are age and grade appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika,
    I agree that free time is something that all students should have. I think the reward system motivates children and gives them a sense of options. The students also learn that hard work pays off. Great post.

    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that students should be rewarded with free time after they have worked hard! I'd take this a step further to restrict the websites that students had access to because I want students to continue to challenge themselves and grow no matter where they are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it is extremely important that students get free choice. I am teaching first grade this year, but I have also taught kindergarten and fourth grade. The first year I taught first grade, I implemented a makerspace in my room and it was a big hit with my students. I saw how having time to be creative was beneficial to them focusing during our work times. You made a lot of really great observations about your year of student teaching. If you ever teach older students, don't forget to try out Kahoot and Quizlet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

final reflection

At the end of this semester, think, again, about “Why games in education?”; and reflect on your experience in this course and share what is the most important take away for you. The blog is due by Sunday night (Dec. 9) Games in education make sense. I say this because in todays world students are so used to technology being engrained into their daily lives. They see their families on their phones, their teaches wear smart watches, at school their teachers use smart boards to deliver lessons. Every single day students are exposed to technology. With technology comes a need to understand it and use it effectively. This is also true in regards to technology based games. I think so often technology is used at a surface level instead of its full potential.  Games in education make school more fun. How boring is it for students to sit at their desks all day and never play a game. I remember when I was in school it was so much fun when we got to play games like heads up seven up and j

Week 4 reflection

This week I learned a lot. I have been really enjoying reading the "pirate" book. I like the way it is organized and how easy it is to follow along. This weeks topic was one that I have experienced in my teaching and my personal life many times, but never in the capacity of exploring it more in-depth. I think flow is something I always strive to have in my classroom, and so I don't think about it as much as I had to this week. Lately I have been subbing and it is so different to see how each teachers classroom works. Everyone has a different way things are organized and flows through out the day, that I have learned a lot working in so many different classes. I think again it was interesting that I was able to apply my own personal experience to a week topic. I haven't had too many classes where I can look back at my own education or daily life and think about how it relates to the topic we are discussion that week. Perviously I was able to reflect on my French cl

Week 9

Which aspects of story and game mechanics will be useful in your class and how might you use them? This weeks main question has a lot of room for  interpretation. I feel that with everyones unique situation and experience the blog posts this week will be a lot of fun to read. For me I will need to think of this question in hypothetical situation because I am not currently working in a classroom.  When I was in my own classroom I used games a lot. We would play games with Osmo sets. We would also play structured games outside on the playground to help them understand and practice taking turns, sharing, and playing nicely with each other.  There are so many aspects of game mechanics and stories that can have a positive impact on students learning. Whether it be from actual games that are played like ones that allow students to practice their letter or sound recognition, look at parts of speech, or prepare for a quiz. All these will help students find the motivation to learn more. Th