Skip to main content

Week 2- engaging games

In order for a game to be effective at teaching children it needs to engaging. Students at all ages will very quickly loose interest in a provided game if it does not meet certain criteria. The most important engaging game play experience is one that taps into many of players sense. They may include thoughts, feelings, actions, and meaning making. 
According to Laura Ermi’s article engaging games are ones that allow the players to fail. Players need to feel they are challenged by the game. They work to improve their performance, learn new moves, and improve their understanding of the game. With this in mind players will feel suspense, anxiety, and physical arousal which can be translated to positive feelings with the anticipatory feeling of success when a level is beaten, or a certain achievement in the game is met. 
            This may sound like a cheesy example, but as I read the articles and paper for this weeks essential question I found myself reflecting on why I love playing certain games. If you look at my phone I only have two games. 
1.    Solitaire
2.    Best Fiends
I think solitaire is a good representation if a game that challenges my brain to think more mathematically. There is not very much creative thinking involved and it doesn’t really force me to learn new moves or feel any anxiety. Solitaire is a game that I can stop and return to and it will make me feel the same amount of calmness as when I put the game down. With this game the completion is against myself. Each time I try to win the game in less moves and time then previously. 

Best fiends on the other hand is a game the creates a lot of anxiety and suspense for me. It is a matching game that involves levels and different challenges. I find this game is a lot more engaging then solitaire. With new updates there are always new special games to play and earn more points. It also has an option to compete with your facebook friends. 

I think these two games are great examples of how one game can be very engaging in a more competive way. 



Ermi, L., & Mayra, F. (n.d.). Fundamental Components of the Gameplay Experience: Analyzing Immersion(Master's thesis, Hypermedia Laboratory) (pp. 1-14). Finland: University of Tampere.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, you're the second person to bring up "Best Fiends" in a post this week, I might have to check it out. I don't have any games on my phone, I never really sit on my phone for long periods of time. But I have played Solitaire before and that one is super fun to me! Great example of relating the essential question to your personal experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. careful it's addicting!! only do it if you have lots of extra time to waste trying to defeat slugs :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with your point about games giving students the opportunity to fail and learn from their mistakes. Gamers don't stop after a failure, they keep playing and apply their newly acquired knowledge to move through the game tiers or levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find your comment about engaging through the senses, including a sense of mean making intriguing. The visual, sound and tough senses often get involved fairly obviously in computer games - all those graphic characters and scenes make that obvious. But 'meaning making'...definitely that is one of many things that will engage me in a book is that it gives another way to look at meaning or to make sense of how people work. I suspect this might be more so in games that build a story - which I think might be part of what the TED speaker was alluding to with World of Warcraft - though I have to admit I meant to look up the game, but never did remember while near a computer, so pure guess work there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's important to consider students' feelings when incorporating games in class, or any sort of challenge. I'm glad you brought up the different feelings that are elicited when gaming, because I think that different games bring up different feelings, and that's okay. If a student is frustrated but engaged, they could use that frustration to push through and succeed at the game. Or at least, that's sometimes how I function— I might get frustrated that I'm not passing a level or solving a problem, but if it's a good challenge and I know the goal is within reach, the frustration I'm feeling is a good motivator to keep trying. And I think, like you said, we need to encourage students to think that failure is not the end, and that they should keep trying. Gaming in the classroom could very well encourage that mindset.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

final reflection

At the end of this semester, think, again, about “Why games in education?”; and reflect on your experience in this course and share what is the most important take away for you. The blog is due by Sunday night (Dec. 9) Games in education make sense. I say this because in todays world students are so used to technology being engrained into their daily lives. They see their families on their phones, their teaches wear smart watches, at school their teachers use smart boards to deliver lessons. Every single day students are exposed to technology. With technology comes a need to understand it and use it effectively. This is also true in regards to technology based games. I think so often technology is used at a surface level instead of its full potential.  Games in education make school more fun. How boring is it for students to sit at their desks all day and never play a game. I remember when I was in school it was so much fun when we got to play games like heads up seven up and j

Week 4 reflection

This week I learned a lot. I have been really enjoying reading the "pirate" book. I like the way it is organized and how easy it is to follow along. This weeks topic was one that I have experienced in my teaching and my personal life many times, but never in the capacity of exploring it more in-depth. I think flow is something I always strive to have in my classroom, and so I don't think about it as much as I had to this week. Lately I have been subbing and it is so different to see how each teachers classroom works. Everyone has a different way things are organized and flows through out the day, that I have learned a lot working in so many different classes. I think again it was interesting that I was able to apply my own personal experience to a week topic. I haven't had too many classes where I can look back at my own education or daily life and think about how it relates to the topic we are discussion that week. Perviously I was able to reflect on my French cl

Week 9

Which aspects of story and game mechanics will be useful in your class and how might you use them? This weeks main question has a lot of room for  interpretation. I feel that with everyones unique situation and experience the blog posts this week will be a lot of fun to read. For me I will need to think of this question in hypothetical situation because I am not currently working in a classroom.  When I was in my own classroom I used games a lot. We would play games with Osmo sets. We would also play structured games outside on the playground to help them understand and practice taking turns, sharing, and playing nicely with each other.  There are so many aspects of game mechanics and stories that can have a positive impact on students learning. Whether it be from actual games that are played like ones that allow students to practice their letter or sound recognition, look at parts of speech, or prepare for a quiz. All these will help students find the motivation to learn more. Th